Daily Job Routine of a Design Engineer
Everyone is eager to know the day-to-day life of a design engineer and what is the daily task routine so that engineers can understand the actual job requirements before joining any design industry.
- Job Title: Design Engineer/ CAD Engineer/ Design Analyst
- Job Timing: 8 Hours
- Break: 40 min,
- Platform: Office/ WFH
- Drawing Reading & optimizing skill required,
- CAD software skill must require (AutoCAD/ Solidworks/ CATIA/ Creo/ Revit/ Staad.Pro)
- Basic knowledge of GD&T,
- Knowledge of paperwork design and sketching skill required,
- Data management skill to manage Microsoft products (MSword, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Ability to delivered projects within a time constraint,
- Basic Knowledge of production/ service process to understand design requirements,
- Basic Knowledge of Quality control,
The daily job routine of design engineers can be different and its depend on the company profile, but there are few common daily tasks are below,
[su_youtube_advanced url=”https://youtu.be/p6tud8oyzqs” width=”420″ height=”200″ autoplay=”yes” mute=”yes”]
1. Task Assignment & Review
- At the starting of the office work, your line manager can assign a design task and you have to review it and analyze that-
- How much time can be taken for this task,
- How many resources is required,
- What things required,
- If anything out of your KRA then also delivered to related KRA person,
Note: If Design will take more than a day then further daily work will follow in few days of the week,
2. Update Task Sheet/ DRW
Whatever task assigned to you, all these tasks need to maintain on daily record sheet, so that you can track your daily work and it will also help to prepare a report of your design assignments,
3. Design and drafting
There are two types of design work are be there in the industry,
- Design Modification: Where we need to make changes in previously drawn design by clients. It just kind of amendments within the design as per client requirements. Service provides industry, 3rd party supplier industries, Product marketing industries mostly use such kind of design work,
- Development: Where we need to design on our own, it means we have to design as per our experience and knowledge. We have only output requirements for as input data, So that’s the reason the development of design products is more difficult than modification. All kinds of production industries, research and development agencies, manufacturing plants, design management consultancies usually work on development.
4. Task Delivered for verification/ Amendments
Once your design is prepared then you can be delivered it to your line manager/ senior people and he/ she will verify. If any kind of changes required of mistakes found then again it will need for amendment by you.
5. Design Approval by Management
Once the design is ready then you or your line manager will need to approve by management so that it will undergo further production and quality process.
6. Internal Communication with Production team/ vendor
This is mandatory that you have to regularly communicate with the production team or 3rd part vendor to understand how they will develop your design and if they have any issues then you can short out.
7. Quality Management
A design has also a responsibility to manage the quality of their designed product at the development stage. The quality team is also there but when the first product is developing, the design needs to verify the quality is on fair demand or not.
8. Data Management
Preparation of BOM, BOQ, Design Report, presentation report.