Career Goal of Design Engineer
Career Goal of Design Engineer: Nothing can be achieved without a goal it doesn’t matter what’s your profession, what’s your skill and what you want to learn in the future. Everything depends on your goal. If a person doesn’t have any goal then their career growth is unstable and unpredictable.
Similarly, a goal is also required for every design engineer for short-term and long-term growth. So this article will help you to understand, how to set your goal and what are the execution approach for each goal.
Every design engineer should focus on two types of goals, one is a short-term goal and another one is a long-term goal.
Short-term goals will help to achieve our long-term goals. So basically you have to set a big goal which is long-term goal and the steps for achieving the long-term goals by following small short-term goals.
How to set a long term goal
The long-term goal is always for a futuristic perspective. Which can we achieve after a long period of investment? So if you started your career in design engineering then you should focus on your domain interest and think wisely, what’s your key strength which can’t be changed to your life long.
There are few points that will help you to define your long term goal are below,
- Once you started your career in design then think about your interest it means which domain is perfectly suitable for your interest and which cannot be changed for your whole life,
- For example, if you choose your domain in sheet metal design as per your interest then don’t change it and keep the focus on that,
- Don’t assume, get information about your goal from industry experts in your relevant domain and try to acquire more knowledge and future goal of other experts so that which will help you to open your career growth door,
- Set your long term goal for a minimum of 5 years, 10 years, and 15 years so that your future growth path would be well defined and always be in pipeline and you will also focus on every stage of your long term goal,
- For example, you can set your long term goal like if you have started working in product design then you can set your career after 5 years as a senior product designer or team leader,
Similarly, after 10 years, you can set your position as a product design manager and team coordinator,
After 15 years you can set your goal as a position of design head or chief design manager or design team developer,
Short term goal
Short-term goals will define how to achieve your long-term goal. So short-term goals completely depend on your long-term goals. Suppose if you have set your long-term goal for design manager then you also need to define how to start and what is your first step to achieving your long-term goal.
So there are few steps that will help you to define your short term goals and if you will focus on your short term goal then your long term goal will automatically achieve and you won’t need to focus on long term goals,
- Your short-term goal is completely based on the long-term goal. So start with the initial stage of the long-term goal. Suppose long term goal is to become a senior design engineer then how you could start so basically you can start with an executive role in a company and work for one or two years,
- It means your first short-term goal will be for a maximum of 2 years and a minimum of one year so that you can start your career as an executive designer which will continue till 1 to 2-year Maximum.
- The short-term goal will not be more than 2 years and the time span of a short-term goal is much better if you achieved it as soon as possible.
- Don’t wait for the best opportunity to start with available resources. For example, if you are not getting a job in a multinational or good brand company then don’t wait and you should start your career with small industries and acquire your knowledge whatever is relevant to your goal or not but at least one skill which is related to your goal. It should be required apart from this if you are getting other knowledge then that will be also fine,
- Also, define how many short term goals will be required to achieve for your first long term goal,
For example, if your long-term goal is to become a design manager then your short-term goal would be like 3 or 4 maximum.
Like the first short term goal would be an executive designer then an associate design engineer then senior design engineer then design coordinator after that you can become a design manager, so this type of short term goal you can set which will help to achieve your long term goal,
- Always set the time frame for each short term goal because without a time frame you can’t achieve your long term goals so always keep an eye on your time span of short term goals,
So these are the few steps that will help you to achieve your long-term and short-term goals and which will also help to achieve your dream job as well. So that you can find your growth and also become a successful design engineer.
Thanks for reading this and best of luck.